Wednesday, June 30, 2010

All Things Considered, It Was a Good Week

I say that with some trepidation and not wanting to jinx myself.  Today I had to take Cocoa, my senior guy (he's eight) and the inspiration for the character Van Helsing in The Vampire Hunters, to the vet (Dr. Crum at  SEAVS) because he was not eating last night.  Turns out a growth under his skin near the jawline was pressing against his jaw joint.  The vet put him under, cut open his cheek, and drained out pus from the growth.  He found a chunk of dried, hardened ear wax about the size of a pea that was causing all the trouble.  Given Cocoa's age and the nature of the operation, things could easily have had a very unhappy ending.  Cocoa is in guarded condition right now -- he has a big hole in his right cheek that needs to be watched so that it heals properly, and is heavily medicated.  His girlfriend Ruby is with him in an adjoining cage (the vet won't let them stay together because she was trying to eat the stitches off his face).  The vet kept him overnight and his overall prognosis looks good.  So as long as everything turns out well, then I'll be happy.  But until I have him home and he's begging for treats, I'm a nervous wreck.

On a much happier note, Shadowfire Press sent me the proofs yesterday for the second book in the trilogy -- The Vampire Hunters: Vampyrnomicon.  I'll start reviewing them this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment